Total Pageviews

Friday 25 November 2011

The Need For Space.

Welcome all to my first real blog, hopefully the introduction didn't completely put you off reading.

The day is Friday, which means a day off uni just for a change. 7 hours a week is pretty ridiculous when I'm paying £2,000 a year to attend, but looking on the bright side, next year Leeds Met are charging £8,500 a year so I can thank myself lucky. Not much usually occurs on a Friday for me, except the inevitable catching up on Countdown, so I'm going to take you through what has been a pretty up and down week for me.

After a surprise gambling win on Saturday, I went into the week on a high, feeling that nothing could knock me down. How wrong I was. Monday brought about the inevitable boring lectures and the purchase of a panda hat. But Tuesday was different. Waking up to a text from a girl you'd been seeing giving you the elbow is never a good feeling, and so my downward spiral was underway. I had no qualms with the way things ended, and we part on good terms, so not all bad. But just like Nelly Furtado, as my iTunes shuffle politely decided to play first song, I was questioning 'why do all good things come to an end?' But I'm a realist, and there is nothing I can do to change anything, so I just have to accept things and look to the future. Marley knew exactly what I needed, and that was a trip to the pub.

Wednesday brought about a belated birthday trip to Frankie and Benny's and the cinema to see Tintin, which for lack of a better phrase was what I call 'fucking awful'. The day saw an upturn in my mood, but not because of the trip out. What started as a simple request for an Orange Wednesday code descended into a full on heart-to-heart, but I wasn't doing any of the talking. This was our first conversation for at least a month I'd say with someone I consider a very close friend, although we hardly see each other despite the fact she now lives in the same city as me, it's always good to know you've got more than your best set of friends that you trust to tell anything to, and I consider myself very lucky to have such a good set of friends. But the conversation really put things into perspective for me. And I advise anyone who is going through a rough patch to just think about things in perspective, there are always people somewhere in the world with a problem worse than yours. Sometimes a lot closer to home than you may realise.

Totally excusing Thursday, today is now Friday, and after my boring exploits of nothingness, I find myself gearing up to get ready to go to work, an 11:30pm-4:00am shift at a nightclub called 'Space'. For once, I seem to be looking forward to work, different surroundings, different people, and although there will be the inevitable drunk bellend behaving like one, and the people who find the way I say "80 pence" amusing and make a few jokes about it, after reading someone else's blog about the almost impossible quest for unemployment, maybe I shouldn't take my job for granted.

If this week has taught me anything, it is to always have a positive outlook on life, no matter what may go wrong.

Thanks for reading, and as per usual, hopefully this was a little more interesting and insightful to read.

Thomas.

2 comments:

  1. You only pay 2 grand? :( I now feel ripped off!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah but it's reflected in the standard of teaching and hours of face-to-face study! Who are you sc?

    ReplyDelete